POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Grassy Julia Fractal : Re: Grassy Julia Fractal Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:49:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Grassy Julia Fractal
From: Tek
Date: 15 Jun 2003 09:28:03
Message: <3eec7463$1@news.povray.org>
"Tim Nikias v2.0" <tim### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Hm, so that dividing along the length with the texturing
> trick... Do you use just two triangles per blade, or
> more? Thats what I couldn't figure out from yer description.

Yup 2 triangles per blade. The texture fades from opaque to transparent on the u
axis, and from yellow to green along the v axis. Each blade is mapped with the
same v value on all corners, to pick the colour of the blade, and with the u
value setting how opaque it is.

> How fast is it?

About 2 hours for this image at 1600x1200

> And yet to be answered: how many blades
> are in the currect scene?

250,000!
The bliss image rendered a lot quicker even though there were more blades,
because I created a mesh of 100,000 blades then duplicated it 40 times with
small random displacements. I couldn't do this on this scene because the object
is so complex that it became obvious some of the blades weren't touching it, so
this actually has 1 mesh with 500,000 triangles in it!

--
Tek
http://www.evilsuperbrain.com